Monday, October 31, 2011

Greece: The Food

IMG_3676

When I started blogging and tweeting about taking this trip to Greece I received a lot of comments telling me how much I was going to love the food.  Strangely I hadn’t expected that.  My last trip to Europe didn’t leave me feeling very warm and fuzzy about the cuisine.  Of course, that was 10 years ago before I developed taste buds…and of course, none of those countries served me Greek Salad.

Greek_salad_collage

You have never had a tomato until you’ve had a fresh Greek grown tomato.  Trust me.  And if anyone ever serves me a Greek Salad without a SLAB of amazing feta cheese on top of it again, I might cry. 

We seriously had at least one, if not two, Greek Salads every day of our trip.

We also ate a whole lot of tzatziki.  The cucumbers were almost as epic as the tomatoes.  And the olives.  Until we discovered Fava Dip on Santorini…I’m still dreaming about that deliciousness.

Greek_food_collage_2

Breakfasts were almost all included with our hotels (unless we had a godforsaken early ferry that had us out the door before it was served).  They ranged from quite good (Mykonos) to good enough (Athens)…always with coffee, fake OJ, some kind of cheese, some kind of egg, bread, Corn Flakes, and usually the crazy thick yogurt.

Greek_breaky_collage

Aside from the bazillion Euros we spent on bottled water (it actually wasn’t that expensive, we just drank a lot of it) we kept our energy up with sodas and coffee drinks.  Nothing hits the spot at 3pm like a frosty cold can of Coke….seriously…it saved my life (from headaches) at least twice.  And nothing beats lying on the beach than having a Frappe (iced cappuccino) delivered right to your lounge chair.

Greek_bevvies_collage

Of course, we never let a dinner go by without wine…some good, some awful or a frosty cold beer, or whatever other boozy bevvie struck our fancy.

We found some healthy snacks.

IMG_3309IMG_0476

And lots and lots of carbs.  Do you know the Greeks bring you bread with every meal?  Oh, you can say no…but why would you want to?!

IMG_2943Greek_food_collage_1

Gyro pita, pistatsio, roast chicken with lemony potatoes, souvlaki with rice.

Beach pizza.  Holy delicious. 

IMG_0475

Oh pasta!  Risotto.  More pasta!

Greek_food_collage_3

And someone finally fed me eggplant I loved.  Probably because it was stuffed with cheese and other amazingness and cooked in some kind of clay oven I’ll never find anywhere outside of Sifnos.

IMG_4123IMG_4127

Sifnian food spoiled us.  We arrived on a Sunday and were presented with a home cooked chick pea “Sunday Stew” at the restaurant in our hotel.  Best thing we ate on the whole trip…I swear.  Now if only one of us had purchased the required clay pot for cooking this up ourselves…

IMG_4018

Oh, and dessert.  Thank God we didn’t jump on the baklava bandwagon until our last night on Santorini.  If we’d tried it sooner we may very well have eaten it for dinner every night.

Greek_dessert_collage

Instead, we only did that once.  :)

Everyone who told me the food would be amazing….you were right.  We enjoyed every bite of every thing we had on the whole trip.  Greek Salad has been forever ruined for me.  I guess I’ll just have to go back!

1 comment:

  1. All of these photos are amazingg!!! I am obsessed with food photos :)

    -Sydney xo

    ReplyDelete